Thursday, January 29, 2009

A whipser from the Father

It's 11:30 and already I've had a full day. I get in the car, start it, and turn up the volume. A little Brand New, it's edgy and angry. Sowing Season sounds good. It's been a crazy frustrating week and I'm off to a lunch meeting with some area youth pastors on an upcoming community event. I don't really want to go but the retreat in my car, no matter how short is a relief. The music's loud and I'm playing out the week's events in my head, thinking over the next week's schedule, and keeping rhythm on the steering wheel.

Suddenly the music isn't so loud. My mind is quiet just as I'm crossing the bridge into Savannah...
The next verse plays out...


"Nothing gets so bad,
a whisper from your father couldn't fix it
Your whisper's like bridge, it's a river span."

I turn the music off as the traffic light stops me at red.

"Sorry Father for not speaking to you today. I know it's been more than just today, it's been a few. But I did ask for help and wisdom a few times. It's been a busy week but you know that. I'm listening now."

Nothing. Complete Silence. No answer, no encouragement. No overwhelming burst of energy or joy. Just Silence.

But that's what I needed. Thanks for the whisper.

1 Kings 19
11And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.

HOW DID GOD GET YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

No comments: