Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Remembering Monroe, LA (our 1st Mission Trip)

The first mission trip I ever took my youth on was a Week of Hope in Monroe, LA through Group Work Camps in 2005. We spent the week cleaning an old abandon park in the middle of a neighborhood. Or at least it resembled a park at one time. In an effort to bring some life back to the park, the city workers BUSH HOGED the park with tractors because the grass was up to our knees. Following that, the students at the camp were responsible for raking up the grass which resulted in hundreds of garbage bags full of grass clippings.

Once we were able to see the ground we went to work in removing broken glass, scrap metal, old clothing, garbage, and various other disgusting items. We spent 3, 100+ degree, laborious days in preparation for a grand re-opening of the park with hot dogs, balloons, kickball, football, and other games for the families of the neighborhood.

The reopening was rewarding to say the least. We spent time with the neighborhood families, kids were able to run without worry of cutting themselves, the laughter echoed throughout the area, and people were coming from all over. It was a great day!
Until the party was over.

I could not believe what was left when the party was over. There were garbage cans and bags available throughout the are, but those at the celebration found it more convenient to just drop whatever they had in their hand wherever they were when they were finished with it. We spent the next couple of hours cleaning the park all over again. Balloons, cans, paper, fruit peelings, and napkins littered “our work”. I was furious, we had worked so hard in cleaning up such a horrible mess only to do it again.

“How ungrateful and disrespectful could they be?! They don’t deserve this place if they can’t keep it clean! We worked so hard and this is the thanks we get.”

I was suddenly humbled as a still small voice quickly quited my loud, pious pride.

“How much is this park like your life? How much work have I put in cleaning up your life? How well do you keep it clean? Your getting this upset over a park, but not your life? How many times have I had to come back through and pick up all the mess you left behind? Maybe you need to take your time picking this up to appreciate what I do.”

WOW! So I did, I took my time.

Turns out, other leaders there had the same disappointment and anger towards the community members who “messed up our work.” I was able to share what God had spoken in my spirit and how He had used the day as an object lesson on Grace. Amazing. What a first time experience.

No comments: