Saturday, November 15, 2008

Kanye on Sacrifice?

"I realize that my place and position in history is that I will go down as the voice of this generation, of this decade, I will be the loudest voice," he said in an interview on Wednesday. "It's me settling into that position of just really accepting that it's one thing to say you want to do it and it's another thing to really end up being like Michael Jordan."

Kanye is the epitome of Hollywood Narcissism. I really don't think there are few as stuck on themselves as he is, proven by these opening lines in a interview of the former "College Dropout". Unless you have been living under a rock you have at least heard many of his colorful antics promoting himself as the worlds greates rapper - or was that lil' wayne....

The end of the interview was more noticable than the beginging.


"And you know now when I'm on that stage and I look out and I say, 'What am I going to do with the rest of my life?' Like when does a real life start?' Because I have sacrificed real life to be a celebrity and to give this art to people, which is great. It is great that I was able to do that, I'm not trying to shun that in any way, but it's definitely a Catch-22 and it's bittersweet."

It kind of reminded me of an older eminem video/post with his daughter Haily. Can you imagine, being a multi-millionnare, standing on stage in front of thousands and wondering, "What am I going to do with the rest of my life? When does real life start?" That question - "When does real life start?"- is one that can bare some tackling by all. At what point do you start living "for real". When you get your liscense / graduate high school / graduate college / get married / have kids / retire?

Kanye almost has it! He realilzes that he's sacrificed something to obtain what he has. He feels he's sacrificed real life for the celebrity life and for our sake of having such amazing art.

You would think with Kanye's first big hit was about walking with a man named Jesus, he wouldn't have this problem. Kanye must have not listened to anything the Man had to say. But I guess he did it for the fans. I mean we wouldn't have had such amazing music had he not made the sacrifice.

Matthew 16:14-16
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?[a] Is anything worth more than your soul?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure Kayne actually understands the idea of sacrifice. Maybe if he gave all the money to the poor he made in sacrificing his real life for celebrity life then he'd start to get an idea. i think the Narcissism is one reason I am not a real rap fan. I can use it for workouts or whatever but that is about it.

steven said...

I've always been a rap fan...until it went from gangsta to glamour...lol. Some of the guys I listen to now though -Lecrae, Gnarls Barkley, and this Indi guy from Canada - K-os (pretty amazing)