Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Think Past The Fast

Yea sooo, I'm fasting. It's hard. REAL HARD! Waite! I just preached about not saying that and keeping a smile on my face as I fast. BUT it is still hard! My last 3 lunches have all included all natural peanut butter. It is starting to loose its appeal.

As I pray and think about this, the fast isn't just about what I'm giving up and suffering through . There is the ele
ment of Sacrifice, but there is also an element of celebration that comes as you begin to discipline not only your body but also your spirit and will. I didn't realize how "addicted" I had become to so many of the foods I enjoy. And how much caffeine and sugar were a part of my diet. Until today my head has screamed for just a dash of both. But it only got a little Advill or BC instead.

You never really know how much you have become enslaved to something until you try to go without it for a while.
Just because something is not necessarily bad for you doesn't always mean that it is good. Especially when you struggle to go without it. Paul said it best.

"I am allowed to do all things," but not all things are good for me to do. "I am allowed to do all things," but I will not let anything make me its slave. ~1st Corinthians 6:12

What are you a slave to?

In trying to get my teenagers to do more than just fast, I challenged them to look past just the fast and see the kind of Honor that God really seeks when we do this. Fasting is NOT about being Noticed by God...But about getting to a place where you can notice God and what He wants you to do.

So I challenged them (and myself)
a little further with a few assignments based on Isaiah 58 to complete within the 21 days. They don't even have to be fasting to attempt it. Give it a try you might find a little pleasure in it yourself.

1. Free People You Have Put in Prison (Isaiah 58:6)

If you have a grudge with someone or someone has a grudge against take care of the un-forgiveness and work it out.

2. Free Those You Treat Unfair .(Isaiah 58:6)

Make a new friend and stop treating someone unfairly

3 Share Your Food With The Hungry. (Isaiah 58:7)

Secretly pay for someone’s meal at a restaurant, drive through, work or ,school. Put change in a vending machine without getting anything, leave it for the next person.

4. Give Them Clothes (Isaiah 58:7)

Give something away that you like to wear not the raggedy old t-shirt your used to giving away when you don't wear it anymore!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bubba I'm so proud of you I forgot how much I missed your words of wisdom. I'm truly blessed to have a big brother like you in my life. I love you Steven good luck with the fast it is worth it in the end I too am giving up a few commodities of my own for the next few months. Love you!