Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Go Back Where You Came From

I did a double take while driving to Wal-Mart as I read the quote of the week at a new local sandwich joint. (From what I hear has amazing Philly cheese steaks.) I’m definitely going once my fast is over.

But I was sincerely bothered by the quote of the week. Not in defense of the pastor, but in defense of the owner of the restaurant. Evidently the sign is in reference to a statement made by the local pastor and other church members during a city council meeting. The owner was trying to gain a beer license so he could add it to his menu, but was denied without apparent legal grounds. The owner was told that allowing the sale of beer would jeopardize the safety of their little town. But I believe there is a gas station less than half a mile from the restaurant that already sells alcohol. While the owner was pleading his case and presenting his knowledge of the law, the meeting heated into an argument in which the local pastor, who is on the council simply told the owner to …

“Go back where you came from”

This made me very angry, and reminded me how much “CHURCH PEOPLE” really get on my nerves. Not necessarily Christians, but “church people” who have forgotten how to treat unbelievers and realize that they may have different values than you. It is one thing to have a disagreement with someone, but another to be just plain hateful and unloving. As Christians we can get so caught up in protecting our “bubble” sometime that we will stop at nothing to maintain our “rightness”. Not righteousness.

I do not drink, nor am I condoning drinking. But at the same time I will never so harshly condemn someone for doing so. If I remember correctly I think Paul said something like this.

Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive, so that you have the right response for everyone. ~Colossians 4:5-6

Whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Jesus Christ. ~Colossians 3:17

I may have missed something but I don’t ever recall Jesus telling anyone to “go back where you came from”, except maybe Satan.

The reality of this is, that this local Pastor missed the opportunity to show love, grace, and compassion to this gentleman. Even more he has probably messed up all other opportunities for any other believer to have an opportunity to speak into this man’s life.

No comments: