Friday, October 14, 2011

The D word

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are DISCIPLINED in their training. They do it to win the prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with PURPOSE in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I DISCIPLINE  my body like an athlete training it to DO WHAT IT SHOULD. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

I am the MAN of the house, the parent of the house, and I have a responsibility to discipline my daughters in ways that benefit and protects them... I've known this would be the case since before Ella  was born.

But another reality has made itself very clear recently.(AGAIN) I am also responsible for disciplining MYSELF as well. Not in a way that keeps me out of trouble and out of jail. But in a way that helps me be and do the best I can in a few areas of life. Those areas being...

Finances - Exercise - Eating Habits - Time on Technology - Hours of Sleep - Reading - Writing - Prayer

That may not seem like much....but those things are HUGE portions in my life.

I would easily say that lack of financial discipline is the reason for our nations economic problem (at the political and individual level.) The obesity problem in our country is due mostly to a lack of discipline to push away from the table and declining to take a walk (Not including real genetic and medical issues.)  Our lack of productivity is due to staying up all night and then staying distracted by twitter, facebook, youtube, and random blogs (like this one.)

The point is this...the things that we SHOULD be doing have been replaced by things we WANT to be doing. And  just because we want to do something doesn't mean that it is the best thing for us. In fact the things we SHOULD be doing are some of the hardest to do. We have to discipline ourselves to do them.

What do you know you should be doing, but aren't. Stop feeling guilty for not doing it. Make the decision to do it and then just do it. That is the only way it is going to happen. You don't have to read another book, get another idea,  or find a better or easier way to do it. Just start where you are and do what you know to do. Right now.

No comments: