Thursday, January 08, 2009

It's a Both -And kinda thing

So in my last post I was feeling pretty "slim" in my contribution to expanding the kingdom of God. Unlike a production or sales job, when at the end of the day you can walk away and sort of see the fruits of your labor. You can tell how much you've made or how far you have gotten in the process. You can ring up the register to see your total sales. You can feel accomplished. Ministry is quiet different and can often seem like you aren't accomplishing anything. Early yesterday I was really convicted and inspired by the video of Hillsong Church's endeavor to reach out to the poor, broken, and neglected. (Please go back and watch if you haven't already) Reaching out is a part of what a Christ follower is to do. I was feeling "small" because I often feel like I don't do that enough.

At one part in the video there is a side by side shot. On the left a shot of a church service where attendees are "jumping for Jesus" in worship. On the right is a video montage reminding us of captive slaves. The voice over questions how we can continual jump around in our freedom while slaves are still held captive. Over lunch I was contemplating all the images I had seen and wondering how to go beyond worship services. As I was beating myself up over it. The holy spirit reminded me of how Mary anointed the feet of Jesus with a costly perfume. So costly in fact that one said that the the money could have been used to feed many who are poor. Jesus reprimands him and reminds the others the importance of what she just did. Scripture says that as the "fragrance filled the room" Jesus said "you will always have the poor." God was encouraging me that the leading of my teenagers into the presence of God through worship is as important as the "doing to the least of these." It's a both-and relationship as James puts it both faith and deeds are needed to be followers. Why is it we can't be balanced on the two. More often than not we get caught up focusing more on one and lacking in the other.

Last night was the first service of the new year. God is just amazing and I love when he proves His word. (He always does - we just don't always recognize it.) Even before our first worship song had finished two girls quietly walk up to me; one a regular attender-one a visitor. They excitedly tell me that the young girl who is visiting really wants to accept Christ and she doesn't want to wait. My wife and I go into the hallway as our worship band continues with the set to pray over and encourage the young girl. Tears roll down her face as Christ is changing her heart in that very moment. The four of us rejoin the others to finish out the praise and worship portion of the service. To my surprise the last song doesn't end at the 20 minute mark as most Wednesdays. What happens for the next 30-40 minutes is a worship experience for the new year as young people drew into the heart of God as their "fragrant worship filled the room." The one young girl at the beginning of service was just a start. By the end of the night 14 more had made new commitments to their Heavenly Father. I may not always be in the streets or other countries rescuing the poor, broken, and neglected. But I'm in the lives of the youth of this area showing them how to pour out their lives out as an offering. I may need to reach out more, but not at the expense of worship experiences. It's a Both-And kinda thing.

.

3 comments:

Vince Farrell said...

So true and so good. It's a True and Good thing!

Vince Farrell said...

I'm amazed at how much alike our stories are. Really!

We know that everything reproduces after itself.....at this point in my life I'd rather produce sons rather than servants. I pray you are encouraged as I continue blogging about the charactersistics of a Spiritual Father....please don't hesitate to contact me about anything.
Vince

jay said...

Dude, I have the biggest set of tears in my eyes after reading this. You are an amazing youth pastor!!!!! In fact, the best I've ever seen. I was just thinking this morning how honored I am to have you in my life!!!! (and I'm not even a youth-far from it in fact) Never underestimate your worth or impact in the Kingdom-it is far greater than you can ever imagine!!! Praise God for your obedience and His saving not only of the 14 new sons and daughters but of us ALL!